Tuesday, May 26, 2009

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

What a great time regardless of the rain that continues to come day after day! Church service was a tribute to those who have served our country in the military -and those who didn't come home! Barron and I wore our red-white-blue, as I explained to some, I am an Army brat that married a Viet Nam vet so I am patriotic through and through! David had chosen such beautiful music and Roger's sermon was all about the Greatest Sacrifice -- our Lord Jesus Christ!

Backing up to Saturday, we went out to Ebenezer cemetery to see the new Veteran's Memorial they have put up. Unfortunately we noted that Scottie's name is not on it but they have promised to correct that. Then we stopped by to visit Uncle Jim and Aunt Inez - and Sandy and Larry happened to stop by too. Uncle Jim looks better than he has in a while, but is putting in a large garden (an entire acre of peas) so not sure how long his health will last with all that is involved with gardening!

Sunday evening Tiny and Jackie came over as they were in town to celebrate with June on her 70th birthday and we had a great visit. Enjoyed sitting out on our front porch together. Finalized details for the Wilkins reunion and reminisced about the past!

Monday, Butch and Barbara joined us for lunch and Barron had prepared a delicious one: Grilled Ribs, onion and potatoes, sliced tomatoes and sweet cantaloupe!! We talked about family of course and they brought some papers for me to add to the family genealogy - which is a neverending task! I do so enjoy it so if any of you know how I could do it for retirement $$ -- please let me know. We made a quick trip out to the Wilkins house and showed off our new church building as well. We will definitely have to get together more often now that we are close by.

I forwarded Jonathan's 3rd email from Afghanistan to many of you (if you didn't get it and would like to, let me know) -- and how sad that our country lost two of its finest over the weekend!!!

We are so thankful for those who serve to protect us!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Just My Life said...

When you say that they live closer, does that mean that they have moved to Cullman?